Rates and Services
The most common question I get is “What does a virtual assistant really do?” “What is the job description?”
The boiled down definition from Wikipedia is “A virtual assistant (VA) is a skilled independent contractor who provides administrative, technical, or creative assistance to clients remotely from a home office. Clients are not responsible for employee-related taxes, insurance, or benefits; they avoid the logistical problem of providing office space, equipment or supplies; and they only pay for productive work time.”
I like to think I’m more than that – I’m a partner in your business and your success. Given that I handle matters that are important to you and your business, I am trustworthy and exercise confidentiality and discretion at all times. I take on the tasks that are weighing you down. Working together, we can move your business forward!
If you’ve never worked with a VA before, take a minute to consider these 4 tips:
- Make a list or mindmap of all the things you do all day every day (or that you wish you were getting done) that have nothing to do with either literally or figuratively bringing money in the door for your work.
- Go through that list and circle the ones that are the ones that ONLY you can do (e.g., answer personal email, create business plan, decide which networking events to attend, have lunch with friends, etc.). These circled ones are the ones you are keeping even though they don’t “make you any money.”
- Look at what is left. For example, paying bills, scheduling client calls, updating information, getting up to speed on new apps.
- Imagine having days and weeks where you didn’t have to do any of the ones that are left on your list (i.e., the ones that aren’t circled). How much time would that give back to you? How much stress would be relieved? How much more significant work could be done when you have more time and less stress? How much more could you enjoy your life if you had more time and less stress? That’s where a VA comes in!
These tips paraphrased from Meggin McIntosh, PhD
My 20-hour retainer rate is for those clients who require a minimum of twenty (20) hours each month. The 20-hour retainer rate is billed in one-minute increments, with a twenty-hour minimum ($1079) paid in advance every month.
My 10-hour retainer rate is for those clients who require a minimum of ten (10) hours each month. The 10-hour retainer rate is billed in one-minute increments, with a ten-hour minimum ($595) paid in advance every month.
My 5-hour retainer rate is for those clients who require a minimum of five (5) hours each month. The 5-hour retainer rate is billed in one-minute increments, with a five-hour minimum ($325) paid in advance every month.
My Pay-As-You-Go rate is for clients who have no monthly minimum requirement. This works best for clients with small projects. The PAYG rate is $87 per hour, billed in one-minute increments, paid in advance.
Additional hours are billed at the same retainer rate; however, unused time does not roll over to the next month.
Any expenses acquired specific to the client are billed to the client. Normal daily office supplies and equipment are my responsibility and expense.
I work with these:
Google (mail, calendar, voice, places)
iWorks (Pages, Numbers, Keynote)
Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
Plus, over 200 mobile apps!
Some of the many ways to use Virtual Personal Assistant
- entering customer data into a database
- sending scheduled marketing pieces
- sending regular follow-ups, reminders, and communications
- calling people for missing contact information
- sending email broadcasts
- maintaining a newsletter subscription database
- creating flyers / price lists / marketing documents
- laying out / printing / mailing newsletters
- printing labels using company logos
- editing / uploading new content to website
- webinar / teleseminar setup
- website proofreading
MAIL AND EMAIL SERVICES
- retrieving email / sorting / getting rid of junk
- responding to routine email requests
- tracking / forwarding urgent issues
- sending out sales brochures for inquiries
- business plan editing
- newsletter proofreading
- ebook proofreading
- preparing Keynote/PowerPoint slides from sketches of diagrams and charts
- creating questionnaires and/or surveys
- researching pricing information on items prior to purchase
- performing an internet search for an item or piece of information
- monitoring periodicals and clipping articles of interest
- confirming upcoming appointments
- scheduling / rescheduling appointments
- tracking birthdays / anniversaries / other important dates
- sending out the appropriate cards / gifts for special events
- coordinating air travel / car rental / hotel reservations
- proofreading / editing / check spelling / grammar / laying out / formatting of documents
- manual / user guide / technical / report writing